Chicken Stew with Dumplings is a family favorite meal that is both hearty and comforting. This easy recipe was created to takes advantage of a grocery store rotisserie chicken and tube of refrigerator biscuits so you can get this homestyle dinner on the table fast.
This is a great recipe to have in your back pocket, the filling is incredibly versatile, you can use it in chicken pot pies, or with biscuits for chicken and biscuits or with dumplings like we have here. Once you have to basics down, like any other soup or stew it is easy to customize and tweak to suit your family’s preferences and tastes. I occasionally add in different veggies. Sometimes I will add a can of sliced potatoes or frozen peas and carrots with green beans, I just make whatever I have on hand work. Really, there is no right or wrong way to make soup or stew 🙂
I love using rotisserie chickens for recipes like this, it is a great shortcut on busy nights. If I were baking the chicken myself there would be no way I could serve this on a weeknight.
Canned refrigerator biscuits are also a time-saving alternative to homemade dumplings. You can add up to 2 of the smaller tubes in this recipe, I prefer 1 tube, but I know lots of people like a dumpling heavy dish, if that is the case go ahead and add two.
A tip for cooking dumplings: smaller dumplings cook better. The dough will expand once it is placed in the warm broth.
Chicken Stew with Dumplings
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken *see note
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp chicken base
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
For the dumplings
- 1 7.5-ounce can refrigerator biscuits
- 1 cup chicken stock if desired
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick.
- Add the shredded chicken, carrots, peas, and parsley. Stir well.
To Make the Dumplings
- On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into quarters.
- Drop cut biscuits, one at a time, into boiling chicken mixture. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.
- If after the dumplings have cooked the stew seems to thick add up to an additional cup of chicken stock to thin.